Welcome back, guys. This week we are discussing how to believe in yourself when it feels like no one else does. I bring this up because I recently had an experience that kind of rattled me.
Since I started this blog I knew going in not everyone in my life was going to “get it”. I prepared myself for that. However, I had one person I knew and had discussed this with for a while before I took the plunge. This person was on my side from day one, encouraged me to go for what I wanted.
Throughout this whole year of blogging, I relied on this person as my rock when I felt down when I thought I didn’t have what it took to do this. This person encouraged me 100% every single time.
Something happened last week and we got into an argument and in the midst of the argument, this person says to me. “Your blog is a waste of time. You are not making a lot of money.”
I crumbled… My heart sunk into my stomach and burst out into tears. I spent the rest of the day so upset. I posted about this on Instagram and had a few friends reach out. Those that are doing the same thing I am doing.
Gather yourself and your thoughts
For a moment that day, I thought “maybe I should quit”, “maybe I am wasting my time”. I quickly pushed those thoughts from my mind because this blog is the first time I am actually passionate about something. Yes, do I want to make money from doing this? Yes, but do I want to push products and sponsorships of products I don’t use. No, never, because I will spend years making “okay” money and share content with you guys that I love.
I quickly gathered my thoughts and said “fuck it” about the situation. The support of that person is no longer needed. I don’t need anyone to support me or believe in what I want to do with my life. I will do it alone.
Why is it important to believe in yourself?
When you believe in yourself there is this sense of yes I hear what others are saying, but I am not going to listen. You wholeheartedly believe in what you are doing you will be unstoppable. When you have that relationship with yourself that you know you were meant for more in your life everything just clicks and you know what you have to do to get to where you want to go.
Believing in yourself gives you get this confidence about yourself that just illuminates the aura around you. It becomes “maybe I could do this” to “I know I can do this” and it’s not a cocky kind of confidence. Its a confidence of valuing yourself and pushing your potential further than you ever would have.
What do you do if no one believes in you?
Ignore them. Plain and simple.
It doesn’t matter if they believe, what matters is that you believe. If this is something you see yourself doing for the rest of your life, then forget all the naysayers. What you are doing or thinking of doing is all you think about and you have a complete passion for it. What others say doesn’t matter. You are not doing this for them you are doing it for you.
No one in this world should be made to do something they don’t want to do. You have every right to have dreams and goals to do something better with your life. If others can’t support you then you don’t need them. Again, plain and simple.
But, Michele, what if it’s family? Distance yourself. They don’t need to know what is going on in that part of your life anymore. I have done this with a few members of my family because they didn’t understand.
How do you make people believe in you?
You can’t. They have to come to it on their own terms. But do you really want someone around that didn’t believe in you from the start? I know I don’t. I want to surround myself with people who build me up when I have these “brilliant ideas” in my head. You should want to surround yourself with people who keep you humble and tell you the truth, but also push you and your ideas because they want you to succeed. You shouldn’t have to MAKE people believe in you.
It’s not your job to make people believe in you. There may come a time when they finally change their mind about what you are doing when they see you either happy or making money. Either way, you don’t need them in your life.
Why you should always believe in yourself?
In the end, even if you don’t find your tribe right now to cheer you on. You need to believe in yourself and keep your own motivation going. I know for myself, doing this blogging thing can be a little lonely. No one in my family understands what I am doing or why I want to do it. Some just think I sit at home all day watching TV.
Don’t get me wrong, somedays they are right. However, what they don’t see the late nights, the early mornings, or the all-nighters. I may take a day or two to regain my sanity, but I am not just “sitting” at home doing nothing. It may not look like much progress from the outside, but from my point of view, I have made leaps and bounds.
If you feel alone and feel like giving up because you just NEED one person right now to cheer you on and believe what you are doing is worth something. Please find me on social media. I will be your cheerleader. Hell, you can be mine too. Hehe. Your vibe attracts your tribe.
If whatever you are doing is being done with passion and you feel like you can contribute somehow someway to a niche or if by doing what you do… you end up making a change in just one person’s life. Isn’t that worth it?
10 Tips to believe in yourself
1. Keep in mind your values, mission, and purpose. – Don’t lose focus on WHY you are doing what you are doing.
2. Understand not everyone will or want to understand what you are doing. – Once you accept that and do whatever it is you want to FOR YOURSELF. Being alone and being your own cheerleader doesn’t seem so bad.
3. Distance yourself from those who are being negative. – Don’t put yourself in the situation where you know something will be said. You have the choice of who you allow in your bubble. Don’t fill it with negativity.
4. Don’t take them too seriously. – They may just be upset that they never took the plunge and did something for themselves.
5. Listen to the criticism and let it motivate you to prove them wrong. – Don’t let someone’s narrowmindedness deter you from doing what you want/need to do in your life. Let them criticize and show them who was wrong. Let their inability to understand be your fuel to show people you are capable of. BECAUSE YOU ARE CAPABLE.
Feeling motivated yet? Keep going!
6. Keep learning, growing, and evolving – Never stop learning new things. Learning new things helps you grow as a person and evolve into a person who has compassion for others. I found that journaling using a stream of consciousness has really helped me stay focused on what I am growing and working towards.
7. Learn to be your own motivator. – Find yourself daily affirmations to say to yourself that motivate you. I have a playlist on youtube of songs that pump me up. I have motivational quotes I write out and stick to the wall in front of me and most of all I post inspirational quotes on my social media. All the positivity I need is at my fingertips to make me feel good about myself.
8. Keep a positive attitude. – Tell Karen to calm down and take a chill pill. You got this. Always keep a positive attitude. Someone says “you can’t do it”, your response should be “watch me”. Someone says “why would anyone want to listen to someone from a small town?” Your response should be “because we are the same. We are all somehow someway from small towns and just want some hope to see that someone makes it. I will be that person”
How about now?
9. Stay true to yourself. Your vibe will attract your tribe. – As you learn and grow, you evolve into this person that sees the world differently. It may take some time, but you WILL find people who are likeminded. Never change who you are and what you want to do, to suit someone else’s thought of how your life should go.
10. Keep moving forward. – There will be days where you just want to give up. PLEASE DONT. Something amazing will happen, you just have to put in the hard work. It may take some time, but how amazing would it be when you are living the life you want, that you made for yourself. You will look back and think “Man, I can’t believe I almost quit.” Just keep moving forward.
I hope you guys enjoyed this little motivational rant about believing in yourself. I was in a funk because of the friend that shall not be named. This post really helped me remember why I do what I do. I just want everyone to succeed and go after what they want. If our family and friends cant believe in us than we need to find new people online who will.
When I say find me on social media, I am serious guys. I will cheer on anyone who needs it. I have been there and have felt alone. Hell, some days I still feel alone, but I will keep on chugging along because I love what I do. I love the person I am becoming. I don’t want to go back to what my life was before and I don’t want you to either.
Until next time, have a great day!